“Landwork” shall mean the actual performance or supervision of any one or more of the following functions:
A. Negotiating for the acquisition or divestiture of mineral rights.
B. Negotiating business agreements that provide for the exploration for and/or development of minerals.
C. Determining ownership in minerals through the research of public and private records.
D. Reviewing the status of title, curing title defects, providing title due diligence and otherwise reducing title risk associated with
ownership in minerals or the acquisition and divestiture of mineral properties, but shall not include division order or lease analyst
E. Managing rights and/or obligations derived from ownership of interests in minerals.
F. Unitizing or pooling of interests in minerals.
“Land Professional” shall mean a person who derives a significant portion of his income as a result of performing Landwork.
“Landman” shall mean a Land Professional who is primarily engaged in Landwork.
- To become an Active member, Applicant must be a Land Professional as defined above who has either, (1) four or more years of continuous
experience in “Landwork,” OR (2) a four year degree from an accredited college or university. The Applicant must be sponsored by one (1)
current AAPL Active Member who has actual knowledge of the applicant’s experience in Landwork. Current Active members are eligible to
sign as a sponsor for potential Active members.
- Associate membership is available to those working in the minerals and/or energy industry who are not qualified to hold Active Membership at the time of application. The Applicant must be sponsored by one (1) current AAPL Active Member who has actual knowledge of the applicant’s experience. Associate members are not eligible to sign as a sponsor.
- AAPL Associate members include but are not limited to:
- Oil/Gas Attorneys, except for those who are working as Land Professionals
- Land Professionals/Landmen who do not meet Active Membership requirements
- Active Membership requires one (1) current AAPL Active Member, who has actual knowledge of Applicant’s experience in Landwork, to sign
the Application as a sponsor. Associate Membership requires one (1) current AAPL Active Member, who has actual knowledge of
Applicant’s land related work and/or experience in supervision of Landwork or land related work, to sign the application as a sponsor.
ACCEPTANCE OF YOUR APPLICATION
- Once received, allow up to 15 business days to receive notice of your acceptance. You will receive a new member packet via mail
containing your AAPL #. The $100 application fee is non refundable and will be processed when your application arrives at AAPL. The
Application fee will be considered your dues payment through the end of the current AAPL fiscal year - being June 30th.
ETHICAL CONDUCT & STANDARDS OF PRACTICE
- The Applicant must execute the Membership Application which contains an Ethics Statement affirming the Applicant’s willingness to be
bound by and abide with the AAPL Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Any Applicant who has ever been convicted of a criminal
offense classified as a felony shall be admitted as an Active Member only upon the recommendation of the Ethics Committee and by a threefourths
(3/4) majority vote of those officers and directors present and voting at a regularly scheduled Board of Directors meeting.
By selecting Join